Planning regulations relating to AONB

Alterations and Extensions to Dwellings in Waldringfield (i.e. in the AONB)

If you live in a house, you can make certain types of minor changes to your home without the need for planning permission. These rights, called “permitted development rights”, are derived from a general planning permission granted by Parliament.
Please note, however, that such rights can be removed by a condition attached to the original planning permission for your house so in all cases you should check with the position with Suffolk Coastal planning services before proceeding (phone 01394-444738 or e-mail

Extending your house –You need planning permission under the following circumstances;

  • You want to build an addition which would be nearer to any highway than the nearest part of the “original house”, unless there would be at least 20 metres between your house (as extended) and the highway. The term “highway” here includes all roads, footpaths, bridleways and byways if they are public rights of way. (There are special rules for porches –see below).
  • Your house is a listed building –you will require listed building consent and in most cases planning permission.
  • You want to build outbuildings having a volume of more than 10 cubic metres or which have a height of more than 4 metres to ridge or 3 metres to the highest part of a flat roofed building. You also need consent if more than half the area of land around the “original house” would be covered by additions or other buildings. The term “original house.” means as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the original house, a previous owner may have done so.
  • The extension is higher than the highest part of the roof of the “original house” or any part of the extension is more than 4 metres high and within 2 metres of the boundary of your property (loft conversions and dormers have separate rules).
  • The volume of the “original house” would be increased by more than 10% or 50 cubic metres (whichever is the greater). If an extension to your house comes within 5 metres of another building belonging to your house, the volume of that building counts against the allowance for additions and extensions .Any outbuilding having a volume of 10 cubic metres or more counts against your allowance.
  • Extensions to your roof which change its shape such as lofts and dormers.
  • To erect a porch with a floor area (measured externally) greater than 3 square metres or which would be higher than 3 metres above ground level or would be less than 2 metres away from the boundary with a highway.

Erecting fences, walls and gates –You need planning permission under the following circumstances;

  • It would be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicular traffic (or a footpath of such a highway); or over 2 metres high elsewhere.
  • Your house is a listed building or in the curtilage of a listed building.

Vehicular Access –You need planning permission if;

You intend to widen or create an access to a trunk or classified road. In the case of Waldringfield the C348 is a classified road (Cliff Road and School Road.)

Installation of antennas and satellite dishes – You need planning permission under the following circumstances;

  • To install a third antenna.
  • To install a single antenna exceeding 100 centimetres in any linear dimension not including any projecting feed element, reinforcing rim, mounting and brackets).
  • If a second antenna is installed exceeding 60 centimetres in any linear dimension.
  • The cubic capacity of any individual antenna exceeds 35 litres.
  • An antenna fitted onto a chimney stack exceeds 60 centimetres in any linear dimension.
  • An antenna mounted on a roof sticks up above the roof when there is no chimney stack.
  • Where there is a chimney stack the antenna sticks up above the highest roof ridge by more than 60 centimetres or above the height of the chimney stack which ever is the lower.
  • An antenna is installed on a chimney, wall, or roof slope which faces onto, and is visible from, a road.
  • Please note that separate rules apply to buildings over 15 metres in height and to flats. If your house is a listed building you will need listed building consent if the antenna affects the character or appearance of the building.

Flats and maisonettes

Any alteration which affects the external appearance of a building sub-divided into flats or maisonettes requires planning permission as does any extension. The limits for antenna installation on houses set out above also applies to buildings sub divided into flats and maisonettes. If the number of antennas has already exceeded the maximum number allowed, you will need planning permission.